Basic Ways To Prevent Cancer Most People Ignore
James Meschino DC, MS, ROHP
In our modern day world of sophisticated pharmaceuticals, organ transplants, MRI machines, laser therapies, nuclear medicine, and advanced surgical procedures, it seems inconceivable that the most important ways to slow and/or reverse the aging process and reduce your risk of dying prematurely from cancer, heart disease and other degenerative diseases, involves natural lifestyle strategies that are within our control. But it’s true.
For example, the National Cancer Institute tells us that 70-90% of all cancers are preventable through more prudent lifestyle choices. And its not just smoking that is the problem. Although smoking is linked to 30% of all cancer deaths, an even greater percentage of cancer deaths (35%) are attributable to faulty dietary practices and other lifestyle factors. Surprisingly, all the environmental toxins, pollutants and artificial food additives, we worry about only account for about 2% of all cancers.
How Does It Work
With respect to diet there are many active constituents in food that protect us against cancer. People who eat more of these foods have a 50% lower cancer incidence than people who don’t consume enough of them. If there were a drug that could cut cancer rates by 50%, everyone would be taking it. We just haven’t emphasized the true medicinal value of certain foods in culture, as well as certain supplements for that matter. How does it work? Well natural agents in certain foods prevent genetic mutations from occurring in our cells that cause cancer to start. Other constituents in food instruct emerging cancer cells to commit suicide before they can take hold in the body. Your body makes cancer cells everyday. However, your body has defenses to kill off these cells before they can replicate and form malignant tumours. But, your body requires specific nutrients to bolster the immune’s systems ability to kill these cancer cells and to cut off blood supply to these cancer cells and to trigger events in the cell that lead to cell suicide. There are no drugs that can do this for you on a regular basis. Only specific foods and certain supplements can give you this kind of protection.
Five Important Dietary Tips To Get Started
- Consume a cruciferous vegetable every day (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, boy choy, turnips) – these foods are key in cancer prevention
- Don’t eat meat from anything that has four legs (beef, pork, lamb etc)
- Eat a soy product at least three times per week
- Avoid high fat dairy products (non fat and 1% milk are fine, as are cheeses that are less than 4% milk fat)
- Take a high potency multiple vitamin and mineral each day, along with an extra 1,000 IU of vitamin D (the high potency multiple vitamin should contain 1000 mg of vitamin C, 400 IU of vitamin E Succinate, 100 mcg of selenium, a B-50 complex and all other standard nutrients from vitamin A to zinc)
Other lifestyle strategies include getting regular moderate exercise (not to the extreme), staying at your ideal weight, not smoking, drinking little, if any, alcohol, avoiding too much sun exposure (and tanning beds), and taking some immune modulating supplements after age 50, when your immune system function typically declines (you can learn more about this in my book The Meschino Optimal Living Program)